Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Simplicity

I love this time of year.
It's a season where I have no choice, but to get my heart right and mind set on what's really important. It's so easy to lose sight of that sometimes. My life gets busy. It get's hectic. And the weight of the world starts to push me down and then my heart and mind become fixated on the circumstantial rather than the eternal. With Ava, I find that I've become more purposed in helping her know what this time of year truly means. What Christmas is all about. In doing that, I find that I've grown because of it. I'm learning. I'm being reminded of why I celebrate this joyful season.

Recently at my MOPS group, we were asked to share what special Christmas traditions we remember fondly. We shared so many different memories. They were all so beautiful. But the underlying themes were so simple. And they didn't involve talking about the coolest gift we had received. We weren't talking about the latest and greatest of the season. No. We all shared memories that involved our mom and dad. Our family. It was about going to church and participating in the bell choir. Taking turns decorating the tree. Memories of the candle wind mill and beautiful advent wreaths our moms laid out. It was about the sights and smells of the seasons and who we were with that made it so important.

For me, that solidified my absolute desire in making this Christmas simple. With my sweet Daughter, I'm challenged to try and not allow the world to influence my traditions with her. I want to create the most simple traditions. The ones where she can have smells and sights that trigger a sense of emotion that will bring her back to her mom and Dad. That will bring her back home. So with that, here are some pictures of us making Christmas cookies for the very first time. A simple tradition that I hope to maintain over the years. And one that she too, will share fond memories of with her MOPS group!

Ava springking her cookie with goodies.

It was relaxing watching her be so meticulous about her creation.
She took such care in making her cookie!

Ava was so proud after wards!
"Mook It! My Cookie!"
That precious cookie was devoured in less than three minutes flat!

1 comment:

Rachel Ann said...

I love the fact that you are teaching Ava at a young age about simplicity.

Now if only the millions of others in this world can learn simplicity it would be a much better place.